Ministry of Higher Education and Scientific ResearchActions
Ministry of Higher Education and Scientific Research
Prof Azmi Mahafzah
Marital Status: Married with 3 Children
- Professor of Microbiology and Immunology, Department of Pathology Microbiology and Forensic Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, University of Jordan
- Consultant Clinical Pathologist, Department of Laboratory Medicine and Forensic Medicine, Jordan University Hospital
Qualification and Training
- MD. University of Damascus – Syria , 1977
- PhD. Microbiology and Immunology, American University of Beirut, Beirut – Lebanon, 1984. Thesis Title” Immunoregulatory factors derived from the TA3HA cell line growing in vivo and in vitro”
- Rotational training in Clinical Pathology/Microbiology Oct. 1980 – Oct. 1984, AUB Medical Center, American University of Beirut, Beirut – Lebanon.
- Post Doctoral fellowship in Virology Sept. 1987 – Sept. 1988, Dept. of Laboratory Medicine and Virology Reference Laboratory. Yale University School of Medicine – New Haven, CT, and VA Medical Center – West Haven, CT, USA.
- Jordanian Board in Laboratory Medicine/Clinical Pathology-Microbiology, April 1989.
Academic and Professional Appointments
- Minister of Education and Minister of Higher Education and Scientific research, Oct. 27, 2022-Now
- Minister of Education and Minister of Higher Education and Scientific research, Oct. 11, 2018-Nov. 1,2018
- Minister of Education, June 14, 2018- Oct. 11, 2018
- President, the University of Jordan, April 19, 2016- June 14, 2018
- Vice President for Scientific Faculties, Sept. 1, 2013-April 18, 2016
- Dean, Faculty of Medicine, the University of Jordan, Oct.28, 2010 – Aug. 31, 2013
- Professor of Microbiology and Immunology, Department of Pathology, Microbiology and Forensic Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, University of Jordan, Amman – Jordan, December 2009
- Director, Department of Laborastory Medicine, Jordan University Hospital, August 1, 2008-2013
- Director, Infection Control Office, Jordan University Hospital, Amman – Jordan, Oct. 2007 – October 2008.
- Vice Dean for Faculty Affairs, Faculty of Medicine, University of Jordan, Amman – Jordan, Nov. 1998 – Sept. 2006
- Associate Professor of Microbiology and Immunology, Department of Pathology, Microbiology and Forensic Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, University of Jordan, Amman
- Jordan, Sept. 1996 – December 2009
- Chairman, Department of Laboratory Medicine, Jordan University Hospital, Amman – Jordan, Oct.1993 – Sept. 1995
- Acting Chairman, Dept. of Pathology, Microbiology and Forensic Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, University of Jordan, Amman – Jordan, Sept. 1992 – Sept. 1995
- Consultant Clinical Pathologist/Microbiology and Immunology Dept. of Laboratory Medicine, Jordan University Hospital, April 1989 – present
- Director, Blood Bank, Jordan University hospital, Amman – Jordan, Apr. 1989 – Oct. 2003, January 2009-Present
- Assistant Professor in Microbiology and Immunology, Department of Pathology, Microbiology and Forensic Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, University of Jordan, Amman – Jordan, Feb. 1985 – Sept. 1996
- Lecturer in Microbiology and Immunology, Department of Pathology, Microbiology and Forensic Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, University of Jordan, Amman – Jordan, Dec. 1984 – Feb. 1985
Councils and Committees
- Member, Council of Higher Education, November 2020 -present
- President, Board of Directors, King Hussein Cancer Research Award, Aug.2020-present
- Chairman, the Higher Concil of the National Center for Curriculum Development, September 2019-present
- Member, Educationn Council, Jan. 2018- Present
- Chairman, Jordan University Hospital council, 19/4/2016-14/6/2018
- Member, Jordan University Hospital council, 28/10/2010-31/8/2013
- Member, Board of the National Center for Diabetes, Endocrinology and Genetic Diseases, 28/10/2010-31/8/2013
- Member, Board of the National Institute for Diabetes, Endocrinology and Genetic Diseases, 28/10/2010-31/8/2013
- Member, Prince Hussain Academy for Civil Defence Council, 28/10/2010-31/8/2013
- Committee for the Administration of the Health Insurance Fund of the University of Jordan, Amman – Jordan, 2003 – 2007
- Founding Council of the Faculty of Medicine, Al Hashimiyyah University, Zarqa – Jordan, 2004 – 2006
- Faculty Council, Faculty of Nursing, Jordan University of Science and Technology, Irbid – Jordan, Sept. 2000 – Aug. 2001
- Founding Council of the Faculty of Medicine, Mu’tah University, Karak – Jordan, 1999 – 2002
- Adhoc Committee for Staff Development In Jordanian Public Universities, Higher Education Development Project, Amman – Jordan, January 2001
- Committee for Postgraduate Studies, Faculty of Medicine, University of Jordan , Sept. 1992 – Sept. 1995, Chairman Nov. 1998 – Sep 2006.
- Committee of Curricula and Examinations, Faculty of Medicine, University of Jordan, Amman – Jordan, 1992-1994, Chairman Nov. 1998 – Oct. 2002, Chairman Oct. 2003 – Sept 2006, Chairman Sept. 2007 – Jan. 2008
- Committee of Appointment and Promotion, Faculty of Medicine, Universty of Jordan, Amman – Jordan, Nov. 1998 – Sept. 2007
- Member of the Editorial Board, Dirasat (Official Multidisciplinary Journal of the University of Journal), Deanship of Academic Research, University of Jordan, Amman – Jordan, 1999 – 2003
- Committee of Total Quality Management, Chairman, Jordan University Hospita, 2000 – 2001
- National Information Technology Committee – Health Sector, National Center for Information Technology, Higher Council for Science and Technology, 1997 – 1999
- Adhoc Committee for Introducing Letter Grading at the University of Jordan, Amman – Jordan 1996
- Specialized Scientific Committee for Pathology and Laboratory Medicine – Jordan Medical Board, Sept. 1994 – June 2008 (Chairman of the Committee, Aug. 2001 – Feb. 2006)
- Academic and Professional Committee, Jordan University Hospital, Sept. 1993 – Sept. 1995, Sept. 1999 – Sept. 2004
- Administrative Committee, Jordan University Hospital , Sept. 1993 – Sept. 1995
- Laboratory and Radiology Utilization Committee, Jordan University Hospital, Sept. 1993 – Sept. 1994
- National Certification Committee for Poliomyelitis Eradication, Ministry of Health, Amman – Jordan, 1996 – Present
- Infection control committee. Jordan University Hospital, 1990 – 1995, Sept. 2006 – present, Chairman Oct. 1996 – May 1997, Chairman Oct. 2007- Present
- Licensing Committee for Private Medical laboratories, Jordanian Ministry of Health 1991 – 1993, 1994-1996, 2004-2006.
- Higher National Committee for Epidemics, Jordanian Ministry of Health 1993 –present.
- Avian Influenza and Pandemic Infulenza Committee, Jordanian Ministry of Health 2005 – present.
- Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS) Committee, Jordanian Ministry of Health, 2003 – present.
- Blood transfusion and Tissue Committee,. Jordan University Hospital, Chairman, Sept. 1992 – Feb. 2000, November 2008- present
- Scientific Research Committee, Faculty of Medicine-University of Jordan, Sept. 1990 – Sept. 1991
- Committee for Residency Training, Jordan University Hospital, 1990 – 1994, 1995 – 1998
- Member of Several Adhoc Committees for Accreditation of Undergraduate Programs in Medical Laboratory Sciences in Private Universities, Ministry of Higher Education and Scientific Research (Present)
- Member of the editorial board of the Jordan Medical Journal, July 2011-present
- Chairman, the Jordanian Society for Pathology 2008-2012
- Jordan Medical Association
- Jordan Society of Pathologist
- American Society of Microbiology
- Inrernational Society for Blood Transfusion (ISBT)
- Jordanian Red Crescent Society
- Middle East and North Africa Health Policy Forum
- Establishment of the Medical Skills Center at the Faculty of Medicne, the University of Jordan, Amman Jordan. This involved proposal prepartion and submission, equipping of the center, organizing staff development activities including the organization of workshops, short term training courses, professorship visits, and travel to academic conferences. The center was officially opened and made available for utilization in January 2005.
- Establishment of the Molecular Biology Research Laboratory at the Faculty of Medicine of the University of Jordan which was officially opened in January 2005.
- Preparation of Program Specification as a requirement for acceditation of the Faculty of Medicine, 2004.
- Change of the Curriculum of the Faculty of Medicine: Lead a group of highly motivated staff members to change the curriculum from a traditional one into an integrated organ system based curiculum. The new curriculum was put in effect as of the academic year 2003/2004.
Workshops and Conferences
Workshops: Participated in numerous workshops, the most important of which are:
- Planning Health Curricula, University of Jordan, Amman Jordan. 30/1-3/2/1993
- Basics of Blood Banking, Murton, Switzerland. 23-31/7/1994
- Flow Cytometry and Cell Sorting, Gent, Belgium. 10-14/10/1994
- Polymerase Chain Recction (PCR), American University of Beirut, Beirut Lebanon. 1-5/5/1995
- Quality Assurance in Medical Education, American University of Beirut, Beirut Lebanon. 6-9/5/1995
- Automation and Quality Management in Blood Banking, Murton, Switzerland. 26/11-3/12/1995
- Panarab Conference on Laboratory Medicine, Amman Jordan, April 1996
- Stem Cell Separation from Peripheral Blood, Beirut, Lebanon. April 1998
- Advanced Blood Banking, Murton, Switzerland. Sept.1998
- Community Based Medical Education, Suez Canal University, Ismailiah Egypt. 22-28/2/1999
- Workshop on Information Technology in Higher Education, Amman Jordan. 6-7/3/1999
- Revision of HIV/AIDS Guidelines for Journalists, Amman Jordan. 7/5/2007
- Several WHO Workshops and Study groups on Medical Education
- Avian and Pandemic Influenza Subject Matter Exerize. Joint activity between US Central Command and Royal Medical Services. Amman Jordan 29-30 July 2009. Participated as a speaker
- Seminar on «WATER, ENVIRONMENT AND SUSTAINABLE HUMAN DEVELOPMENT IN THE MEDITERRANEAN» Barcelona (Spain), 29th and 30th of June 2010
- WHO REGIONAL WORKSHOP ON LABORATORY QUALITY STANDARDS STRENGTHENING, 4-6 OCTOBER 2010, MUSCAT, OMAN
Conferences: Most Important conferences attended are:
- International Conference on Infectious and Parasitic Infection, Munich, Germany. 20-26/7/1986
- Fourth Conference of the American Society of Virology, Clear Water, Florida, USA. May 1988
- Regional Meeting for AIDS Programs in the EMRO Region, Cairo, Egypt. 17-20/8/1991
- Arabization of Medical Education, Manamah, Bahrain. 16-18/2/1992
- Second Jordanian French Medical conference ( member of the organizing committee) Amman, 1997
- The First German Jordanian Medical Conference ( Chairman of the scientific committee) Amman 17-20/10/1998
- Third Jordanian French Medical conference ( Chairman of the scientific committee) Amman, 2000
- Annual Conference of the American Association of Blood Banks, Washington DC, USA. 4-8/11/2000
- International Society for Blood Transfusion, Paris, France. July 2003
- International Society for Blood Transfusion, Istanbul, Turkey, August 2005
- First International Conference on Primary Care, Amman Jordan. 8-10/11, 2005
- 2nd JSP International Conference. Amman, Jordan 31 Aug-3 Sept. 2006
- 11th International Colloquium on the Recruitment of Voluntary, Non-Remunerated Blood Donors, Cairo, Egypt 12-18 January 2008
- 3rd JSP International Conference and 2nd Hellenic-Jordanian Pathology Congress. Amman, Jordan 5-8 November, 2008
- 2nd International Conference of the Faculty of Medicine, University of Jordan and 5th Conference of the Jordanian Faculties of Medicine. Amman, Jordan 18-20 April, 2009
- 18th IFCC-EFCC Congress of Clinical Chemistry and Laboratory Medicine. Innsbruck, Austria, June 7-11, 2009
- US Central Command Surgeon’s Emerging Infectious Disease Conference and Tabletop Exercise. 25-27 October 2010. Amman, Jordan
- The 4th JSP International Conference (President of the Conference), Amman Jordan, 14-16 April 2011
- IFCC-WorldLab-EuroMedLab Berlin 2011, Berlin Germany 15-19 May 2011
- Medical Microbiology Courses for Medical, Pharmacy, and Dentistry Students
- Immunology for Medical Students
- Virology for Medical and Graduate Students
- Epidemiology of Infectious Diseases for Medical Students and Students of the Diploma Program in Community Medicine
- Diagnostic Microbiology for Graduate Students
- Blood Banking for Medical Technology and graduate Students
- WHO Expert for Iraq Office on “ Workshop for Health Profession Education in Iraq” Amman, Jordan. 11-15/2/2007
- Curriculum Development and Clinical Training for Gulf Medical College, Ajaman, UAE. April 2003
- Incorporation of Sexual Education in High School Curricula, Ministry of Education, Amman, Jordan, April 2005
- Journalistic Coverage of HIV/AIDS for UNESCO, Amman, Jordan. May 2005
- Reviewer of Proposal submitted to the Higher Education Development Project. 2002
- Reviewer for Jordan National Drug Formulary, Amman Jordan, 2006.
- Facilitator in a group of workshops organized by the Center for Educational Development at the University of Jordan
Language: - Arabic: mother tongue
- English: Fluent
Computor: Efficient use of Microsoft Word, Powerpoint, and Excel
- Currently supervising four Masters students in medical laboratory sciences
- Actively involved in research projects addressing nsocomial infections and the epidemiology of infectious diseases.
- Has graduated several Masters students from the Universty of Jordan
- Was on the examining committees of many Masters students from the University of Jordan and the Jordan University of Science and Technology
- Supervised many physician that were enrolled in the program of Diploma in community medicine that is run by the Ministry of Health and WHO and those enrolled in the Arab Board in community medicine.
- Reviewer for the Saudi Medical Journal, Jordan Medical Journal, DIRAST, Journal of the Royal Amed Forces, and Journal of the University of Damascus
- Azmi Mahafzah, Marie Landry. Evaluation of immunofluorescent reagents, centrifugation, and conventional cultures for the diagnosis of adenovirus infection. Diag. Microbiol. Infect. Dis. 1989; 12: 407-411.
- Mohammed El-Khateeb, Azmi Mahafzah, Musleh Tarawneh. Comparison of four methods for the detection of cytomegalovirus antibody and the prevalence of cytomegalovirus infection among Jordanian blood donors. Jordan. Med. J. 1991; 25:89-98.
- Azmi Mahafzah, Marie Landry. Restriction endo nuclease analysis of adenovirus isolates from sporadic and epidemic ocular infections: experience in a clinical laboratory. J.Med. Microbiol. 1994; 40:385-388.
- Hussein Ali, Azmi Mahafzah, David Hough, Peter Madison, Mohammad El-Khateeb. Antibodies to Poly (ADP-ribose) in idiopathic and drug-induced systemic lupus erythematosus. Dirasat, (University of Jordan) 1996, Vol.22 (B) No. 6:1417-28.
- Azmi Mahafzah, Characterization of coagulase-negative staphylococci isolated from clinical specimens at the Jordan University Hospital. Dirasat, University of Jordan, Medical and Biological Sciences, 1996, Vol. 23 No.1:41-49.
- Mary R. Reichler, Adnan Abbas , Sa’ad Kharabsheh, Azmi Mahafzah, et.al. Outbreak of Paralytic Polimyelitis in a Highly Immunized Population in Jordan. J. Infect. Dis. 1997; 175 (supple 1) : S62-70.
- Najwa Khorry Bolus, Ala Toukan, Azmi Mahafzah, et.al. Epidemiology of needlestick and sharp injuries at a University hospital in a developing country: A 3 year prospective study at the Jordan University Hospital: 1993 through 1995. Am.J. infect. Control. 1997, 25:322-9.
- Jamal Aqrabawi, Azmi Mahafzah, Clinical Evaluation of Bacterial Leakage of Endodontic Temporary Filling Materials. Al-Azhar Journal of Dental Science, 1999, 2(2):145-9.
- Asem A. Shehabi, Azmi Mahafzah, Izdiad Badran et al: High incidence of klebsiella pneumonia clinical isolates to extended-spectrum B-Lactam drugs in intensive care units. Diagn. Microbiol. Infect. Dis. 36(2000): 53-56.
- Azmi Mahafzah, Asem Shehabi. 2000 Antimicrobial susceptibility Among Clinical Isolates of Streptococcus pneumoniae at the Jordan University Hospital over an Eighteen-year period. Jord.Med.J., 34:119-22.
- T.Aburjai, Rula M.Darwish, S.Al-Khalil, A. Mahafzah, A.Al-Abbadi. Screening of antibiotic resistant inhibitors from local plant materials against two different strains of Pseudomonas aeruginosa. J. Ethnopharmacology. 2001; 76 (1) : 39-44.
- M Benwahhoud, H Jouad, M Eddouks, B Lyoussi, T Aburjai, RM Darwish, S Al-Khalil, A Mahafzah, A Al-Abbadi, MS Al-Ghamdi, AE Khalifa. Antiulcer activity of Opuntiaficusindica (L.) Mill.(Cactaceae): ultrastructural study EM Galati, MT Monforte, MM Tripodo, A. d’Aquino, MR Mondello (Italy) 1 Plants used in home medicine in the Zenta River basin, Northwest Argentina NI Hilgert (Argentina) 11 Hypoglycemic effect of Suaedafruticosa in streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats, 2001, Journal of Ethnopharmacology, 76: 315-318
- R.M. Darwish, T.Aburjai, S. Al-Khalil, A. Mahafzah. Screening of antibiotic resistant inhibitors from local plant materials against two different strains of Staphylococcus aureus. J. Eghnopharmacology. 2002; 79 (3): 359-364.
- Randa S. Al-Ahmad, Azmi M. Mahafzah , Eyas N. Sl-Mosa. Immunological changes in acute myocardial infraction. Saudi Med J 2004; vol. 25 (7): 923-928.
- Asem A. Shehabi, Waleed Abu-Al-Soud, Azmi Mahafzah, Najwa Khouri-Bulos, Ilham Abu Khader, Ibn-Sina Ouis, Torkel Wadstrom. Investigation of Burkholderia cepacia Nosocomial Outbreak with High Fatality in Patients Suffering from Diseases other than Cystic Fibrosis. Scand J Infect Dis 36: 174-178, 2004.
- A.A. Shehabi, A.M. Mahafzah K.Z. Al-Khalili, Antimicrobial resistance and plasmid profiles of urinary Escherichia coli isolates from Jordanian patients. Eastern Mediterranean Health Journal 2004 ; 10 (3): 322-328.
- Yousef S. Omar, Azmi M. Mahafzah, Musleh Tarawneh. Immunological Typing and IgG Subclass Distribution in Plasma Cell Dyscrasias Diagnosed Among Jordanian Patients, Jordan Medical Journal 2006; 40(3):161-167.
- M Al-Ramahi, A Mahafzah, S Saleh, K Fram. Prevalence of Chlamydia trachomatis infection in infertile women at a University Hospital in Jordan. Eastern Mediterranean Health Journal, 2008,14(5):1148-1154
- Smadi L, Mahafzah A, Khraisat A. An in Vitro Evaluation of the Antimicrobial Activity of Nine Root Canal Sealers. J Contemp Dent Pract, 2008 Jul 1; 9(5): 60-67
- Smadi L, Khraisat A, Al-Tarawneh SK, Mahafzah A, Salem A. In Vitro Evaluation of the Antimicrobial Activity of Nine Root Canal Sealers: Direct Contact Test. Odontostomatol.Trop 2008 Dec; 31(124): 11-18
- Mahafzah AM, Al-Ramahi MQ, Asa’d AM, Elkhateeb MS. Prevalence of Sexually Transmitted Infections Among Sexually Active Jordanian Females. Sex Transm Dis, 2008; 35(6): 607-610
- Bakri FG, Wahbeh A, Mahafzah A, Tarawneh M. Brucella Glomerulonephritis Resulting in End-Stage Renal Disease: A Case Report and a Brief Review of the Literaure. Intl. Urol. Nephrol, 2008; 40(2): 529-533
- Azmi Mahafzah, Ilham Abu Khader, Faris Bakri. Characterization of Enterococci Causing Nosocomial Infections at a University Hospital in Jordan. Over a Five Year Period. Jordan Medical Journal, 2008; 42(4): 229-237
- Bakri FG, Martel C, Khuri-Bulos N, Mahafzah A, et al. First report of clinical, functional, and molecular investigation of chronic granulomatous disease in nine Jordanian families. J Clin Immunol, 2009; 29: 215-230
- Azmi Mahafzah , Salam Daradkeh. Profile and Predictors of Bile Infection in Patients Undergoing Laparoscopic Cholecystectomy. Saudi Med J 2009; vol. 30 (8): 179-183.
- W.A. Hayajneh, A.M. Mahafzah. Swine flu: An old virus with a new face. Jordan Medical Journal 2009; 43(2):122-128
- Najla Dar-Odeh; Wail Hayajneh; Osama Abu-Hammad; Huda Hammad; Adel Al-Wahadneh; Najwa Khuri-Bulos; Azmi Mahafzah; Maha Shomaf; Mohammed El-Maaytah; Fares Bakri. Orofacial findings in chronic granulomatous disease: report of twelve patients and review of the literature. BMC Research Notes, 2010 3:37 Published 17 February 2010.
- Said Ismail; Ismail Sami; Mohammad Al Salman; Maher Sughayer, Azmi Mahafzah. Frequent Detection of Human Herpes Virus-8 (HHV-8) in Bone Marrow of Multiple Myeloma Patients. Cancer Epidemiology. 35(2011):471-474
- NidaaAbabneh, WalhanAlshaer, Omar Allozi, Azmi Mahafzah, Mohammed El-Khateeb, HervéHillaireau, MagaliNoiray, Elias Fattal, and Said IsmailIn Vitro Selection of Modified RNA Aptamers Against CD44 Cancer Stem Cell Marker Nucleic Acid Therapeutics 2013; 23( 6): 401-407.
- FarisG Bakri*, Yacoub G Bahou, Firas A Al-Sammarrai, Azmi Al-Hadidy, Almutez Gharaibeh, Ghida K Zaid, Azmi Mahafzah, Nidaa A Ababneh, Imad Zak. Fatal encephalitis due to BK virus in a patient with common variable immunodeficiency: a case report. J ClinVirol 2013; 57(4): 363-69.
- Ibrahim Alabbadi, Azmi Mahafzah, Mousa A. Al-Abbadi, and Amir Bakir. Investment Opportunities in Health: Feasilbility of Building an American Private Hospital in Jordan. Europ J SocSci, 2013; 40(2): 312-329.
- Enas Alnagi Omran, Azmi M. Mahafzah, Asem A. Shehabi. Antimicrobial resistance patterns of diarrheagenic and non-diarrheagenicEscherichia coli isolates from Libyan children. Interat. Arab. J. Antimicrob. Agents 2014, 4 No 1:2 doi: 10.3823/744
- Nada A. Yasein, Farouq M. Shakhatreh, AzmiMahafza, EmanBadran, Wejdan A. Shroukh, Mohammad S. Farah. Evaluation of the Medical Teaching Program from the Students Perspective at Faculty of Medicine: Jordan University. International Medical Journal 2015 22(4):335-339
- AbdAlRahman M. AlMahasneh, Azmi M. Mahafzah, Asem A. Shehabi. Low incidence of hypervirulent clinical Klebsiellapnuemoniae producing carbapenemase among Jordanian hospitalized patients. Interat. Arab. J. Antimicrob. Agents 2015, 5
- Faris G. bakri, Imad M. Al-Abdallat, NidaaAbabneh, Rayyan Al Ali, Ahmad K.F.Idhair, Azmi Mahafzah. Prevalence of blood-borne viral infections among autopsy cases in Jordan. Qatar Medical Journal, 2016; 14 http://dx.doi.org/10.5339/qmj.2016.14
- Faris Ghalib Bakri, Zakaria Mohammad Abdelrahim, Alqahira Samih Alkalbani, Ghada Mohammad Khrais, Deena Shamroukh Shamroukh, Ferial Ahmad Hayajneh, Azmi Mahafzah. Seroprevalence of measles, mumps, rubella, and varicella among nurses in Jordan. Turkish Journal of Medical Sciences; 2016 (46): 614-619.
- Nidaa A. Ababneh, Malik Sallam, Doaa Kaddomi, Abdelrahman M. Attili, Isam Bsisu, Nadia Khamees, Amer Khatib, and Azmi Mahafzah. Patterns of hepatitis B virus S gene escape mutants and reverse transcriptase mutations among genotype D isolates in Jordan. Peer J 2019; DOI 10.7717/peerj.6583
- Malik Sallam, Jumana Abbadi, Anas Natsheh, Nidaa Ababneh, Azmi Mahafzah, and Gülşen Őzkaya Şahin. Trends in Antimicrobial Drug Resistance of Streptococcus pneumonia Isolates at Jordan University Hospital (2000-2018). Antibiotics 2019, 8, 41
- Isam Bsisu, Zaina Obeidat, Nidaa Ababneh, Mai Altous, Mohammed Obeidat, Mousa Amer, Mona Freihat, Hanan Khalil, Randa Farah, Rasha Bsisu, Maisa Mansour, Azmi Mahafzah, and Nathir Obeidat. The Etiology of Viral Lower Respiratory Tract Infections at a Tertiary Hospital in Jordan over Five Years. The International Arabic Journal of Antimicrobial Journal, 2019; 9(2):1 doi: 10.3823/831
- Malik Sallam, Esraa Al-Fraihat, Deema Dababseh, Alaa’ Yaseen, Duaa Taim, Seraj Zabadi, Ahmad A. Hamdan, Yazan Hassona, Azmi Mahafzah &Gülşen Özkaya Şahin. Dental students’ awareness and attitudes toward HPV-related oral cancer: a cross sectional study at the University of Jordan. BMC Oral Health, 2019; 19: 171
- Malik Sallam, Rawan Batarseh, Anas Natsheh, Jumana Abbadi, Esraa Al-Fraihat, Alaa’ Yaseen1, Doaa Kaddomi, Nadia Khamees, Azmi Mahafzah and Gülşen Özkaya Şahin. An update on hepatitis C virus genotype distribution in Jordan: a 12-year retrospective study from a tertiary care teaching hospital in Amman, https://bmcinfectdis.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12879-019-4735-3
- Malik Sallam, Deema Dababseh, Alaa’ Yaseen, Ayat Al-Haidar , Nidaa A. Ababneh , Faris G. Bakri and Azmi Mahafzah. Conspiracy Beliefs Are Associated with Lower Knowledge and Higher Anxiety Levels Regarding COVID-19 among Students at the University of Jordan. Int. J. Environ. Res. Public Health 2020, 17, 4915; doi:10.3390/ijerph17144915
- Malik Sallam, Deema Dababseh, Alaa Yaseen, Ayat Al-Haidar, Duaa Taim, Huda Eid, Nidaa Ababneh, Faris G. Bakri, Azmi Mahafzah. COVID-19 misinformation: Mere harmless delusions or much more? A knowledge and attitude cross-sectional study among the general public residing in Jordan. PLoS ONE15(12): e0243264. https://doi.org./10.1371/journal.pone. 0243264
- Milon Mondal, Chandan Sarkar, Sarmin Jamaddar, Abul Bashar Ripon Khalipha, Muhammad Torequl Islam, Azmi Mahafzah, Mohammad S. Mubarak*. Evaluation of the Binding Affinity of Anti-Viral Drugs against Main Protease of SARS-CoV-2 through a Molecular Docking Study. Infectious Disorders - Drug Targets. DOI : 10.2174/1871526520666201207124408
- Malik Sallam, Nidaa A. Ababneh, Deema Dababseh, Faris G. Bakri, Azmi Mahafzah. Temporal increase in D614G mutation of SARS-CoV-2 in the Middle East and North Africa. https://doi.org/j.heliyon.2021.e06035
- Malik Sallam, Deema Dababseh, Huda Eid, Kholoud Al-Mahzoum , Ayat Al-Haidar, Duaa Taim, Alaa Yaseen, Nidaa A. Ababneh, Faris G. Bakri and Azmi Mahafzah. High Rates of COVID-19 Vaccine Hesitancy and Its Association with Conspiracy Beliefs: A Study in Jordan and Kuwait among Other Arab Countries, Vaccines 2021,9,42. https://doi.org/10.3390/vaccines9010042
- Malik Sallam, Deema Dababseh, Huda Eid , Hanan Hasan, Duaa Taim, Kholoud Al-Mahzoum, Ayat Al-Haidar, Alaa Yaseen, Nidaa A. Ababneh, Areej Assaf, Faris G. Bakri, Suzan Matar and Azmi Mahafzah. Low COVID-19 Vaccine Acceptance Is Correlated with Conspiracy Beliefs among University Students in Jordan, Int. J. Environ. Res. Public Health 2021, 18, 2407. https:// doi.org/10.3390/ijerph18052407
- Malik Sallam and Azmi Mahafzah. Molecular Analysis of SARS-CoV-2 Genetic Lineages in Jordan: Tracking the Introduction and Spread of COVID-19 UK Variant of Concern at a Country Level, Pathogens 2021, 10, 302. https://doi.org/10.3390/ pathogens10030302
- Lo'ai Alanagreh , Mustafa Ababneh, Abdel-Ellah Al-Shudifat, Mai Ajlouny , Hanan Abu-Shaikh , Foad Alzoughool, Mohammad-Borhan Al-Zghoul, Manar Atoum , Azmi Mahafzeh. New SARS-CoV-2 variant from Jordan. Microbiol Resour Announc. 2021 Jul; 10(26): e00532-21
- Malik Sallam, Deema Dababseh, Alaa Yaseen, Ayat Al-Haidar, Hajar Ettarras, Dania Jaafreh, Hanan Hasan, Khaled Al-Salahat, Esraa Al-Fraihat, Yazan Hassona, Gülşen Özkaya Şahin, Azmi Mahafzah. Lack of knowledge regarding HPV and its relation to oropharyngeal cancer among medical students, Cancer Reports, DOI: https://doi.org/10.1002/cnr2.1517
- Saif Aldeen AlRyalat, Khaled A. Elubous, Ali D. Al-Ebous, Azmi Mahafzah. Impact of a Single-Day Lockdown on COVID-19: An Interrupted Time Series Analysis. Cureus 13(8): e17299. doi:10.7759/cureus.17299
- Nariman Kareem, Khaled Al-Salahat, Faris G. Bakri, Yaser Rayyan, Azmi Mahafzah and Malik Sallam. Tracking the Epidemiologic Shifts in Hepatitis a Sero-Prevalence Using Age Stratification: A Cross-Sectional Study at Jordan University Hospital, Pathogens 2021, 10, 1081. https:// doi.org/10.3390/pathogens10091081
- Rabaa Y. Athamneh, Ay¸se Arıkan, Murat Sayan, Azmi Mahafzah and Malik Sallam. Variable Proportions of Phylogenetic Clustering and Low Levels of Antiviral Drug Resistance among the Major HBV Sub-Genotypes in the Middle East and North Africa. Pathogens 2021, 10, 1333. https://doi.org/10.3390/pathogens10101333
- Malik Sallam, Kholoud Al-Mahzoum, Huda Eid, Areej M. Assaf, Maram Abdaljaleel, Mousa Al-Abbadi and Azmi Mahafzah. Attitude towards HPV Vaccination and the Intention to Get Vaccinated among Female University Students in Health Schools in Jordan. Vaccines 2021, 9, 1432. https://doi.org/10.3390/vaccines9121432
- Alaa Yaseen, Azmi Mahafzah, Deema Dababseh, Duaa Taim, Ahmad A. Hamdan,
Esraa Al-Fraihat, Yazan Hassona, Güls¸en Özkaya Sahin, Julien Santi-Rocca and Malik Sallam. Oral Colonization by Entamoeba gingivalis and Trichomonas tenax: A PCR-Based Study in Health, Gingivitis, and Periodontitis, Front. Cell. Infect. Microbiol. 11:782805. doi: 10.3389/fcimb.2021.782805
- Sallam, Malik, Ali M. Alabbadi, Sarah Abdel-Razeq, Kareem Battah, Leen Malkawi, Mousa A. Al-Abbadi, and Azmi Mahafzah. 2022. "HIV Knowledge and Stigmatizing Attitude towards People Living with HIV/AIDS among Medical Students in Jordan" International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health 19, no. 2: 745. https://doi.org/10.3390/ijerph19020745
- Bara’a Qaqish, Malik Sallam, Maysa Al-Khateeb, Erik Reisdorf and Azmi Mahafzah. Assessment of COVID-19 Molecular Testing Capacity in Jordan: A Cross-Sectional Study at the Country Level. Diagnostics 2022, 12, 909. https://doi.org/10.3390/diagnostics12040909
- Sallam, M.; Mahafzah, A.; Sahin, G.Ö.; on behalf of ESCMID Study Group for Viral Hepatitis—(ESGVH). Hepatitis of Unknown Origin and Etiology (Acute Non HepA-E Hepatitis) among Children in 2021/2022: Review of the Current Findings. Healthcare 2022, 10, 973. https://doi.org/10.3390/healthcare10060973
- Malik Sallam, Kholoud Al-Mahzoum, Latefa Ali Dardas, Ala’a B. Al-Tammemi, Laith Al-Majali, Hala Al-Naimat, Laila Jardaneh, Farah AlHadidi, Khaled Al-Salahat, Eyad Al-Ajlouni, Nadin Mohammad AlHadidi, Faris G. Bakri, Azmi Mahafzah and Harapan Harapan Knowledge of Human Monkeypox and Its Relation to Conspiracy Beliefs among Students in Jordanian Health Schools: Filling the Knowledge Gap on Emerging Zoonotic Viruses. Medicina, 2022, 58, 924. https://doi.org/10.3390/medicina58070924
- Malik Sallam, Ramy Mohamed Ghazy, Khaled Al-Salahat, Kholoud Al-Mahzoum, Nadin Mohammad AlHadidi, Huda Eid, Nariman Kareem, Eyad Al-Ajlouni, Rawan Batarseh, Nidaa A. Ababneh, Mohammed Sallam, Mariam Alsanafi, Srikanth Umakanthan, Ala’a B. Al-Tammemi, Faris G. Bakri, Harapan Harapan, Azmi Mahafzah, and Salah T. Al Awaidy. The Role of Psychological Factors and Vaccine Conspiracy Beliefs in Influenza Vaccine Hesitancy and Uptake among Jordanian HealthcareWorkers during the COVID-19 Pandemic, Vaccines 2022, 10, 1355. https://doi.org/10.3390/vaccines10081355
- Sallam, M.; Al-Mahzoum, K.; Al-Tammemi, A.B.; Alkurtas, M.; Mirzaei, F.; Kareem, N.; Al-Naimat, H.; Jardaneh, L.; Al-Majali, L.; AlHadidi, A.; et al. Assessing Healthcare Workers’ Knowledge and Their Confidence in the Diagnosis and Management of Human Monkeypox: A Cross-Sectional Study in a Middle Eastern Country. Healthcare 2022, 10, 1722. https:// doi.org/10.3390/healthcare10091722
- Diagnostic Microbiology and Immunology
- Epidemiology of Infectious Diseases
- Epidemiology of Nosocomial Infections.
- Continuing Medical Education
Higher education in
In addition, four-year university colleges were established, such as
In 1989, the Private Universities Law was enacted, permitting the establishment of private universities, and the first private university was established in 1990, followed by the establishment of a number of private universities, reaching twelve private institutes of higher education at present.
Interest in the supervision of higher education lead to the Higher Education Law, passed in 1980. In 1982, the Higher Education Board was established, followed by the Ministry of Higher Education in 1985, and the Higher Education Law no. (28) for the year 1985 was enacted, setting the objectives of higher education as well as the authorities and responsibilities of the Higher Education Board and the Ministry of Higher Education and its relations with institutes of higher education.
Thirteen years later, the Higher Education Law no. (6) for the year 1998 was enacted, canceling the Ministry of Higher Education and replacing it with the Higher Education Council, and affiliating community colleges with Al Balqaa Applied University.
On June 19, 2000, the Royal Address of His Majesty King Abdullah II appointing the new cabinet, included the re-establishment of the Ministry of Higher Education and Scientific Research, to undertake the supervision and close control of public and private institutes of higher education and work towards raising their level to become a model of advanced education, so that Jordan’s educational plans and programs are connected to the needs of its community and its aspirations for development and change.
- PO Box
- 138 Aljbaha 11941 Jordan / 35262 Amman 11180 Jordan
- AlJubaiha - Amman - The Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan
- ZIP Code